Cyclone Gabrielle: Residents of Muriwai Domain Crescent asked to leave
Auckland Emergency Management is asking residents of a street in Muriwai Slot Gacor to leave after detecting land movement under houses.
The city on the west coast was hit by massive flooding during Cyclone Gabrielle and roads have been closed ever since.
Auckland Emergency Management (AEM) said it was urging all Domain Crescent residents to leave their homes now (on Friday afternoon) and walk down the hill on foot.
AEM Deputy Controller Rachel Kelleher said, “Go on foot. Don’t take a car.”
Residents were asked to:
- proceed to the intersection of Domain Crescent and Motutara Rd where emergency services would assist.
- Only bring essential items, including pets.
- Check with neighbors who may need help. If it is safe to do so.
- Share this information if it doesn’t cause a delay
- Call 111 if they cannot evacuate themselves.
Two firefighters were killed this week as a result of a slip in the area.
-More to come