Straphanger shot on NYC subway by skull-masked gunman after escalating argument: sources
A 34-year-old straphanger was gunned down on a subway in midtown Manhattan early Saturday, less than a day after Mayor Adams and Governor Hochul announced that underground crime rates had fallen due to a new security plan launched in the fall.
The man, whose name was not released, was shot in the stomach and forearm during an altercation with another man and his female companion on a southbound N train as it approached Canal Street and Broadway station just after 1 a.m. entered, police said.
The victim was taken to Bellevue Hospital in stable condition, according to police.
The suspect, believed to be a man in his 30s, left the station with the woman in an unknown direction, police said.
The suspect was wearing a skull and bone mask that may have had a “What are you looking at?” argument that escalated into bloodshed, police sources said.
The suspect took the gun from his pocket and fired two shots, the sources said, adding that when police arrived a second man was lying on the ground but not moving. However, it turned out that the person hit his head when he ran off the train.
During a joint Friday appearance at the Fulton Transit Center in lower Manhattan, officials revealed figures from the NYPD that showed 1.7 incidents per 1 million passengers in the first three weeks of this year, up from 2.3 incidents per million in 2021 and 2022.
Transit crime through Jan. 22 was down 28% compared to the same period last year, according to data from the NYPD. The anti-crime plan included flooding the system with agents and installing additional surveillance cameras.
Additional reporting by Georgia Worrell