Good morning, neighbors. It is Monday in Austin and I am again in your inbox to get you caught up on all crucial issues taking place in our group at this time.
Seize your espresso whereas we dive into:
- Abbott says he’ll ‘look into’ Austin’s police funds.
- Ongoing drought circumstances hurting Central Texas farms.
- 4 residents have been displaced and a couple of pets killed in northwest Austin fireplace.
- And extra ➡️
First, at this time’s climate and allergy report:
☀️ Excessive: 112 Low: 79. Principally sunny and scorching, scorching, HOT.
🍃 Grass Pollen: Low. Ragweed: Reasonable. Mould: Low. Mud & Dander: Excessive.
Here is to our premier native sponsor. Take a look at what they will do for you:
Consideration Austin Pet House owners: In search of a secure strategy to compost your pet waste? Pet Agree Waste Removing composts residential and business pet waste from animals small and huge — turning it into fertilizer or soil modification that can be utilized for backyard beds and landscaping. Do not throw your pet waste within the rubbish — let Pet Agree Waste Removing upcycle it right into a secure, renewable soil enhancer. Go to them right here to be taught extra, and get 20% off your first month, or 50% off for a yr for companies.
Need to see what you are promoting featured on this spot? Click on right here to get began.
Listed below are the Prime 4 tales at this time in Austin:
1) Abbott says he’ll ‘look into’ Austin’s police funds. Texas Governor Greg Abbott posted a tweet Saturday night stating that he’ll “look into” the funding of Austin Police Division to see if it violates a 2021 regulation, which penalizes Texas cities if they’re discovered to have lowered their regulation enforcement funds. Take a look at the total story right here at KXAN.
2) Ongoing drought circumstances hurting Central Texas farms. The present drought circumstances are drying up some our bodies of water and in addition killing crops. In accordance with the U.S. Division of Agriculture, Texas at present has the worst corn circumstances within the nation. Central Texas farmers have issues over lowered crop yields and lowered crop high quality. KVUE has extra on this story right here.
3) 4 residents have been displaced and a couple of pets killed in northwest Austin fireplace. An unintended fireplace at a northwest Austin dwelling has displaced 4 residents and killed two pets, the Austin Hearth Division confirmed Sunday morning. The fireplace amounted to $100,000 in structural harm and $100,000’s price of injury to the house’s contents. Fox 7 Austin has extra on this story right here.
4) Lengthy waitlists trigger households to scramble to seek out little one care. Success By 6, a coalition of early childhood advocates and a part of the United Means for Larger Austin surveyed little one care suppliers in Travis County throughout the spring and located 89 p.c had problem hiring within the earlier six months.
Cathy McHorse, vice chairman of Success By 6 at United Means for Larger Austin, says: “A lot of the problem with the shortage of entry to reasonably priced little one care is correct now, like in lots of different industries, our little one care sector is experiencing a staffing disaster of… hate to say it, however unprecedented proportions. It is much more exacerbated with packages that settle for childcare subsidies. And that is the state subsidy that helps households with low revenue in accessing reasonably priced childcare.” Staffing shortages, low wages, and pandemic closures have all contributed to this little one care scarcity. Take a look at the total story right here at KXAN
Assist us make this article higher!
We have been getting a lot optimistic suggestions concerning the Austin Each day that we’re beginning to get a giant head. Need to convey us again all the way down to earth with some constructive suggestions? If that’s the case, take our easy — and fast! — reader survey. Your suggestions will assist us ensure we’re overlaying the sort of native information, occasions and scuttlebutt you actually care about. And it’ll assist us towards our aim of being an indispensable native useful resource and the final e-mail you’d ever unsubscribe from.
We would be so appreciative of your suggestions that, when you take the survey, we’ll enter your e-mail tackle in a drawing for a small mountain of Patch swag. You realize you need that tote bag — so click on the hyperlink and provides it to us straight. Thanks!
Take the Survey 👉
At present in Austin:
Extra from our sponsors — thanks for supporting native information!
You are all caught up for at this time! I am going to see you round.
— Jessica Collins
About me: Jessica is comfortable to name Austin her dwelling for the previous 10+ years. She loves the outside, arts & cinema, eating, and the entire pure magnificence that Central Texas has to supply.
Have a information tip or suggestion for an upcoming Austin Each day? Contact me at [email protected]